Sunday, August 3, 2014

If you want to hear me brag on my kids

I have kind of been off of facebook lately (since I believe it is contributing to my hatred for humanity and my brain deterioriation.) Seriously though, it really is a terrible habit. The downside is I have had no medium for which to brag on my kids, so this will be my big brag for the next few months.

Can I just say that I am so proud of these 2? They are just so great in every way: they are funny, smart, sweet, and the cutest things ever.

(I mean, they're maniacs. They are loud, high-maintenance, demanding, dramatic, and strong willed. Let's keep it real. But they're my little monsters and I wouldn't have them any other way.)


I just could not be more proud of Jonah. (Clearly he is having a good day today if I'm writing this!) The things he thinks and puts together are just so hilarious. The other day he told me, "Mom, you know where fresh milk comes from? From cows. And their babies can drink it too because there's milks in their tummies in those little hole thingies. And the baby cows can drink it." OR "Beetles high 5 with their backs, because they don't have hands. So they use their backs instead." Every day it is some strange, funny, random idea that he puts together.

He is really just a great kid too. (I mean, when he's not punching me in an attempt at tickling, or body slamming his sister who can barely walk straight, or just flat out telling us "NO" when asked to do something. Again, keeping it real.) But most of the time, he really takes pride in being independent and responsible. He wants to be kind and helpful, and most of the time he is. His teacher told me, "He is empathetic, he never wants to hurt anyone's feelings. The kids just fight over who gets to play with him. I mean, he's just a great kid." Wow, that had me tearing up a little. What a great compliment. And this was his award from summer camp last week:

MOST HUMBLE

I about fell out of my chair when I saw that. Not a word I would typically use to describe my child. When you give him a compliment he responds with, "I know." But the counselors at his camp saw a special side of him, and that was such a sweet compliment. I'll be treasuring that one. He also told me one of the girls at camp was scared to go down the waterslide, so he held her hand while they went down.

He is so smart, too. He is starting to learn some sight words, and he enjoys doing little pre-k workbook pages. I've been trying to get him to draw every day, but he doesn't really enjoy that. He would prefer a more structured activity book, so we usually do that instead. The other day he was singing a song, "Bonjour, mes amis" and he told me it was "the french song I learned at school." He loves to read and I regret that we haven't had much time to go to the library lately.

Gracie is about the cutest thing I have ever seen. She gives me baby fever (not really, but kind of, except for all the pregnancy part.) She is such a sweetie, she always wants to be held and cuddled (the downside of which is she weighs 20 lbs, doesn't help you hold her up at all, and is starting to hurt my back.) She just wants to be in on the action. She loves being outside, so if someone opens the door she will high-tail it to get out as fast as she can. And she's getting pretty fast at popping up and run/walking to her destination.

She is also such a silly girl. She loves playing silly games like 'peak-a-boo' and chasing. Her favorite game is going up to the mirror and we say, "Get that baby!" and she runs head first into the mirror, and we say, "Not with your head!" and then she cracks up. Like I said, maniacs. But very fun. Behold the evidence of her first split lip. Trying to walk somewhere and didn't quite make it, I guess.


Her nursery teachers say she is always happy unless she is hungry or tired. And goodness, that girl can eat! She eats more than her brother (well, except for her milk cup which she refuses. Will drink water from a cup, will drink milk from a bottle, will not drink milk from a cup. What is that?") She really has the cutest little baby face. People will just come up to me in the store and tell me how beautiful she is, like since she was born. We love all her little faces and expressions. She is also trying to say some animal noises, and it is so cute. She will look at you so intently when you do it and then try to imitate. It doesn't come out quite right, but it's so funny to hear her try to figure out how to make her voice sound like yours. She is also becoming a lover of kisses, books, and sweets (just like the rest of us).


They are great kids. I don't say that enough. We are beyond lucky.








No comments:

Post a Comment